[ SOLD for $495,000 ] Designed in 1910 by renowned architect Lester S. Moore, this 2-story Craftsman at 3471 Redwood Drive is among the houses that lend prestige and cache to “Bankers Row” in the Mt. Rubidoux Historic District in beautiful downtown Riverside! This former home of The Honorable Justice John Gabbert (one of the founders of the UCR campus) has been designated by the City of Riverside as Historical Structure of Merit No. 359.
On over half an acre, this masterpiece couples classic 1910 craftsmanship with present-day creature comforts. An open front porch provides a venue to enjoy the afternoon breezes and also frames the original beveled glass front door. The foyer is most welcoming and illustrates the quality and scale to be found throughout the home.
Many of the original details remain, including the boxed crown moulding and baseboards, brass doorknobs, double-hung windows, quarter-sawn oak floors, romantic gas and wood-burning fireplace, and wood casement windows. Yet the inner workings of the home have been completely re-done, such as 2-yr-old downstairs HVAC unit, added electrical sub panel, copper plumbing, refurbished second story floors, and a remodeled 330 sq ft eat-in chef’s kitchen with all new electrical.
The entrance to the spacious formal living room, which is perfect for entertaining, is framed with typical craftsman-style wood tapered square columns and half walls. For more casual nights in, you can relax in the downstairs den (or 5th bedroom) complete with a former sleeping porch currently used as a home office. A most elegant formal dining room can accommodate a rather sizeable gathering and is appointed with a built-in China hutch, boxed crown moulding and plate rails.
An elaborate wooden staircase ascends to the spacious second floor with refurbished Douglas Fir wood floors, a larger-than-life 8-foot tall staircase landing window, two bathrooms, four spacious bedrooms (one with French doors leading to a large balcony), a former sleeping porch, and a master bedroom with window seat and expansive views of downtown Riverside.
Additional features include:
- early century Quizel light fixtures in dining, entry and den worth over $11,000
- complete interior paint and plaster ceilings and walls throughout
- complete exterior paint and re-plaster in 2006
- two separate central air/heat units (one upstairs and one down) with the downstairs unit having been installed in 2008
- new water softener
- full copper plumbing throughout the house
- kitchen was gutted down to the studs, and now boasts custom cabinets, self-closing drawers, 36″ Viking range, tile floor, granite counter tops, and a large preparation island with 2nd sink.
- added electrical sub panel in basement
- large walk-in basement with laundry facilities — this fantastic space could be utilized as a sports room, workout room, wine cellar, etc.
- new 200 amp electric meter
- new gas meter
- 50-year ceramic composite roof approx 10 yr. old
- new front yard sprinkler system
- new front yard flower beds with electric outlets
- new front yard landscape lighting
- city supply main sewer line has been replaced
- all floors refurbished on second story
- 250 ft French drain from side yard to front of house along both sides of walkway
The gardens are as enchanting as the house itself, with terraced flower beds, 25+ rose bushes (some English variety), numerous trees (1 elm, 4 liquid amber, magnolia, peach, grapefruit, blood orange, 2 other orange, tangerine, lemon, crape myrtle), custom raised-bed veggie and herb garden with irrigation, lighted cabana with electrical outlets, in-ground pool/spa surrounded by block wall and wrought iron fencing.
A two-car garage with new automatic door openers, new 100 amp electrical service with 50 amp and 30 amp outlets, and a 150 sq ft workshop. This home has also been qualified for the Mills Act Property Tax Reduction (taxes are only $2,240 per year).
This prestigious craftsman is nothing short of stunning and is certain to be of interest to those who would like to own one of Riverside’s finest!
Are you wondering why this is such an unbelievable value? This home is a pre-foreclosure (short sale). We have closed our fair share of short sales, and this transaction will be no exception. All we need is an offer to submit to Bank of America — their new automated system closes short sales within 90 days!
[ For more detailed information about this spectacular home,
slide your cursor over each photograph ]
[ Click on photo for close-up view; however, don’t close photo
by clicking on red X — instead ‘arrow’ back to previous page ]